Tonight has been a monumental night for politics. Two thousand soldiers presented a request for redress, speaking out against the war in Iraq. Ellen Degenres gave her adopted dog to another family and caused a stir. Russia Putin allied himself with Irans President. Turkey approved a resolution to allow troops to go into Norther Iraq to take action against the Kurds. And the President of the United States warned Iran of starting world war three. Not only that, he warned that if Russia doesn't stop helping Iran, and Iran doesn't stop trying to get a nuclear weapon, they will be responsible for the starting of World War Three.
1. I wanted to write about this today, but other stuff came up that I need to discuss as well. Two thousand troops signed a petition requesting redress from the Iraq War. This is a simple statement essentially saying that they do not believe this war can be won, and that we should bring our troops home. These are troops that have served in Iraq, many of them are officers. So of course, since these are troops against the war, we should support the troops right? Wrong, psychotic right wing doofus's have already started bashing them, and even pointing out that the leader is a Navy seaman who hasn't spent more than six months over there. Of course, support the troops who are willing to die for a pointless war, and castigate the ones that don't agree with it. Bastards! Hypocrites! Sit your ass down and listen to two thousand soldiers tell you that President Bush is an idiot who doesn't know shit about war!
2. Ellen Degenres recently adopted a dog. She realized soon after that the dog would not work well with her cat. She did the good thing and gave it to another family, who has kids and loves it very much. Unfortunately, that violated the adoption rules and the adoption agency took the dog back and gave it to another family. Way to go adoption agency, you completely miss the entire point of adoption, to get animals into the arms of loving owners. An absolutely idiotic move on their part.
3. Russia's President and Iran's President have become all buddy buddy now. In a disturbing turn of events, Russia has made it brutally clear that they are siding with Iran for any future issues. They shook hands and made nice, and I'm sure, pissed off President Bush in the process. We should be very worried that Russia is pushing to be a world power again. We should worry even more that they are siding with extremists that our President is intent on attacking.
4. Turkey now has approval from their parliament to attack the Kurds in Northern Iraq. This can and will have absolutely disastrous results. Why you might ask? Because we will now have to defend Iraq from Turkey. If you plan on playing the part of occupier in a foreign country, you are obligated to defend it. But there is a wicked twist in this one. Iran has already said that it backs Turkey in this situation. It is likely that if Turkey goes to war against Iraq, and essentially the USA, Iran will help them. It will be us versus Iran and Turkey in another country, due to a situation we caused. Our government is not going to make the right decision here. They will bluster about with more statements that start wars and try to bully Turkey into backing down until another sovereign nation gets pissed at being told what to do and attacks any way. Worst case scenario, I'm sure we will see it.
5. Now on to the main event. President George Bush has once again shown why he is too idiotic to be president a nation this big. He spoke of Iran and Isreal in terms of them starting World War Three. He essentially stated that if Iran got nukes, it would be the beginning of world war three. Now while most would say he should stop name calling and threatening Iran and be diplomatic, he has done the exact opposite by continuing the constant saber rattling. The problem is that its not saber rattling, it never has been. He will rattle, then attack, and then things will fall apart as always. He doesn't understand the dynamics of the culture he is threatening. He doesn't know that threats against the country are perceived as personal threats against the man.
He doesn't know history, or he would understand that during the Iran/Iraq war, Iranians, but the dozens, blew themselves up in sacrifice to kill Iraqi's. They did this to protect their country, and even sent their children to the front lines to blow up and kill Iraqi's. A war with Iran would bring this on us as well and it would be disastrous for the US. Hundreds of thousands of US lives would be lost in a war with Iran, all for nothing. But I doubt our current president can even contemplate the future in that fashion. He has failed to learn from history, he has failed to learn about other cultures before engaging them, and he has used the exact same time of tactic with every other person in the world. His cavalier attitude has cost this country dearly. Its only a shame that he still has time left to screw things up. I have no doubt that he, or possibly a republican successor, will try very hard to get us into further wars.